martes, 22 de noviembre de 2011

How to connect your smartphone through your GNU/Linux box. Part I: With a spare wireless router

Hi!

So, you forgot to pay your phone bill? Or you are just in the middle of a financial crisis? Whatever the reason, you lost connection of the most important item of communication in your daily life: your smartphone.

But you have a computer that does connect to internet. Well, I got my BlackBerry to connect to internet (and regain simple communication to a very dear group of friends) by connecting through the computer.

You see, as I've always said, GNU/Linux is about fun and flexibility. This is no exception. I connect to my ISP through a USB dongle (GSM connection). This box has a wireless interface but, in this chapter, I will use a spare wireless router I have at home. I'll hack on to connect through the wireless interface directly on a following chapter (if the interface allows me to).

So, first, I set up my wireless router and my box to use static IPs (so that my computer and the router will be able to "see" each other). To make things simple, I used this set up:
My Box: 192.168.2.1/24
Router: 192.168.2.2/24
Router's GW: 192.168.2.1 (your box)
Router's DNS: Whatever my ISP's DNSs are (cat /etc/resolv.conf)

Now, in order for the traffic comming from the router to go through your box, you have to make sure two things are set up.

There not be any rule/policy in netfilter's FORWARD chain keeping the traffic from going through
# iptables -L FORWARD -nvChain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 1756 packets, 917K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

You have a DROP policy? Don't want to get rid of it? Add rules to allow traffic going from the router to internet to pass through, and also the traffic that comes back. That's a whole topic in and of itself so I won't go into it. I have an ACCEPT policy on FORWARD, so I have no problem with that.

The kernel be enabled to forward ipv4 traffic
# sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forwardnet.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

It says 0? You have to enable it:
# sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

That should be it.... or almost. The thing is that the kernel is now letting traffic comimg from the router to get to internet but it's not doing any network address translation on that traffic so it's coimg out not with your network interface's IP address but with the wireless router's (which is probably doing nat on the traffic from its clientes) and that won't hold water so next step is to masquerade all traffic that is going out to internet. Something like this should be enough:

# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

I'm using ppp0 for my example (as I said, USB dongle) but it has to be the interface you use to connect to internet. Now, your smartphone (if it's already using the wireless network from the router) should be able to get to internet.

I hope it does the trick for you.

1 comentario:

  1. I usually visit this blog and get many nice info i m working at linux and your post did a great work for me keep it up thanks.
    hard disk data recovery expert

    ResponderEliminar