martes, 23 de agosto de 2011

How to add a custom session type to kdm

Hi!

I was trying to start my "failsafe" session from kdm. Back in the old days, what I would get with that would be a plain session with a terminal on top and nothing else. Unfortunately, when I tried it I would always get back to kdm. Not what I expected.

I figured out that there must be a simple way to create my own custom session... say, where I would only call rxvt for example... and there certainly is a simple way to do it. All you have to do is create a simple file like this under /usr/share/xsessions. Mine is called rxvt.desktop with this content:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/rxvt
TryExec=/usr/bin/rxvt
Name=Just RXVT Session
Name[es]=Solo RXVT

After the file is set up, just restart kdm and your new session type will be on the menu.



Given that the location looks pretty neutral and not tied to a desktop environment, I would expect the same trick to work for gdm and xdm as well.

Also, I would recommend people to take a close look at /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc as there's a lot of interesting stuff in that file.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario