sábado, 21 de agosto de 2010

So the patent mess started from Java and not .NET.. what an irony!

You know how many times I complained about .NET for being backed up by Microsoft and so I distrusted it even if they had made pledges (under certain conditions) not to sue and having made it into an ECMA standard (portions of it)?

Not that I had put all my developing faith into Java, anyway, I've worked with PHP and Python during the last couple of years but it's certainly an irony seeing the patent mess to come from Java instead.

Will this mean there will be less development to Java? Will this push development to other languages like Python? Perhaps Go? I'm just wondering?

I guess ORACLE will lose a lot of FLOSS support after this. Will we start seeing people from ORACLE jump ship the way some did (like Samba's Jeremy Allison) when Novell signed off their agreement with Microsoft back in 2006?

1 comentario:

  1. Issues with Java weren't unexpected:
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

    That said, patents are a threat to each software, especially FOSS.

    ResponderEliminar