viernes, 16 de julio de 2010

Is moving to IPv6 all that important, really?

I'm reading this article where we are told how important it is moving to IPv6 (and I'm not saying it isn't), but I can't help but wonder... will enterprises (for example) really have to move to IPv6? Let's suppose you work in a not so large enterprise where basically the only internet need is to reach internet as a client (which I guess would be most of the needs of a large portion of internet users). Does it make sense to move the whole infrastructure to IPv6? I don't think so. With having the proxy/nat server set up with IPv6 to gain internet access, the inner networking for said enterprise could remain using IPv4, or isn't it?

1 comentario:

  1. I started my migration to IPv6 at work 3 years ago: it solved an interesting problem of spread out locations with their own ISPs & a need for performance & security: they could run any router or modem & as long as our piece is there to overlap the v6 VPN, they're golden. We are only now standardizing a 10.x.x.x network on the IPv4 side to support an IP phone system with a common ISP. Plus, as someone who associates with gamers, I know damn well v6 would eliminate the horrible NAT issues & firewall crap games impose.

    http://www.unquietwiki.com/ipv6/tinc_quagga_ipv6.html

    ResponderEliminar